THE COMMUNITY VISION
Oregon’s Illinois Valley: Living with Nature
The beautiful Illinois Valley is a supportive, safe community of independent and creative minded people. We cherish our accessible small town amenities, open rural lifestyle, clean natural environment, and neighborhood connections. As a community for all ages and abilities, we collaborate to grow a happy, healthy valley.
The Illinois Valley is a gateway to Southern Oregon, the Oregon Caves National Monument and Preserve, the Wild and Scenic Illinois River, the Kalmiopsis Wilderness, and the Klamath-Siskiyou Mountains. The valley is part of one of the most unique and biologically diverse natural ecosystems on Earth and we value our responsibility to this natural world.
By achieving a sustainable healthy relationship with this special place, we improve community well-being and individual prosperity. Our unique environment creates opportunities for a resilient economy, vibrant local business, meaningful employment, creative expression, and personal fulfillment.
The Illinois Valley is a great place to live, work, play, raise a family, and retire.
The Illinois Valley 20/20 Community Plan:
- Engages teams of stakeholders called Action Collaboratives
- Includes specific strategies and actions advancing eighteen priority areas in the categories of People, Place and Prosperity
- Acts as a “living document” that undergoes periodic reviews and updates every 6 to 12 months
- Inspires new partnerships, collaborations and increasing community cooperation
- Attracts the support of partners and foundations
Facilitated by Rural Development Initiatives and developed by hundreds of residents in multiple meetings over six months in order to articulate a shared vision for our community and outline a roadmap to get there.
Supporting Project Partners
USDA-Rural Development • The Ford Family Foundation • Josephine County • RCC’s Small Business Development Center • National Park Service
City of Cave Junction • Illinois Valley Chamber of Commerce